September 5

Socials: Grade Four

Beyond the Textbook: Samples of Vanier ‘in house’ print and DVD resources to support new socials curriculum. 09/16

Bold= First Nations Content

Gr

Content

Resources

4

Early contact, trade, cooperation and conflict b/w First People and European peoples

Aboriginal Peoples in Canada – Silvey                  First Nations and Early Explorers- Corrigan Pioneer Life and First Nations – Corrigan Numerous First Nations Non-fiction titles Various titles on early explorers-see 910.92 The History of Canada – Redcanoe               First Salmon Ceremony -Ritchie Dipnetting with Dad – Sellars

4

Impact of Colonization, Demographic Changes in Pre- Confederation BC in both First Peoples and non-First Peoples communities. Fur Trade.

The Fur Traders – Livesey Groseilliers and Radisson – Watson The Red Sash -Pendziwol

4

Influential factors and impact of colonization

The Secret of Your name – Bouchard Nokum is My Teacher – Bouchard Long PowWow nights – Bouchard Aboriginal Carol – Bouchard +CD No Time to Say Goodbye – OlsenA Stranger at Home – Jordan-Fenton Fatty Legs – Jordan-Fenton Shi-shi-etko – Campbell
Shin-chi’s Canoe – CampbellSecret of the Dance – Campbell When I was Eight -Jordan-FentonNot My Girl – Jordan-Fenton
These Are My Words – Slipperjack MyName is Seepeetza – Multiple copies

Gr

Content

Resources

4

History of the local community and of local First Peoples communities

Far West:Story of British Columbia- Francis The Surrey Story – Treleaven
Surrey History in Photograohs
Various titles on the history of B.C.                                                          We Live Here
We Are a Community