June 5

Indigenous Resources to Support Personal and Social Core Competencies

Vanier staff explored how Indigenous resources might support Social Emotional Learning Core Competencies in B.C.’s new curriculum. Focus was on Personal Awareness and Responsibility and Social Responsibility.

Titles were selected as authentic Indigenous sources or are resources selected and shared by the District Aboriginal Department. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list but rather to provide a window into how Indigenous titles may be used to reach school-wide SEL goals.

Indigenous perspectives have also been outlined as well as a final section on further supportive digital resources.1. Personal Awareness and Responsibility: Self-Determination

Students who are personally aware and responsible have a sense of personal efficacy and growing confidence in a variety of situations. They value themselves, their ideas, and their accomplishments. They are able to express their needs and seek help when they need it, to find purpose and motivation and act on it, and to advocate for themselves.

I can show a sense of accomplishment and joy. I can celebrate my efforts and accomplishments. I can advocate for myself and my ideas. I can imagine and work toward change in myself and world. I can take the initiative to inform myself about controversial issues.

Kookum’s Red Shoes – Eyvindson

When We Were Alone by David Alexander Robertson. 2016 Facing hardship and showing strength. Learning how to retain and advocate for one’s sense of identity.
Eaglet’s World by Evelyn White Minshull. 2014 Feeling proud of your accomplishments.
Red Parka Mary by Peter Eyvindson 2015 Celebrate efforts to overcome fears
The Moccasins by Earl Einarson. 2004

Come and Learn with Me – Cheyenne Jumbo

Feeling proud of your heritage
Under One Sun – Nelson 2017

What Do You Share?

We Help Each Other

I Do Good Things

(other titles available)

Being mindful to create change.
Spirit Bear by Jennifer Harrington 2014 Celebrating accomplishments. Determination to get back home.
Mwakwa Talks to the Loon by Dale Auger 2008 Change / growth in self. The qualities of service and humility.
Which Way Should I Go? By Sylvia Olsen Being mindful, Making good choices.
Little Bear’s Vision Quest by Sylvia Olsen Sense of change in self – thoughtless to thoughtful
Everybody Needs A Rock by Byrd Baylor Finding Connections between self and nature and use that knowledge to create personal meaning and change
What’s the Most Beautiful Thing about Horses? by Richard Van Camp / Georges Littlechild What’s the most beautiful thing you know about you?’
Raven Tales – 26 Graphic Novels Edited by D. Bouchard and D. Booth “These graphic novels are built on traditional stories that develop a sense of community, responsibility, respect and interconnectedness of life” Click here for individual story details.
Raven Tales – Teacher’s Guide Edited by D. Bouchard and D. Booth Recommended. Connects Raven Tales to First Nations cultures and other international and aboriginal cultures with similar stories. Story summaries. Delineated themes i.e. Living in Community, Respect…
Sometimes I Feel Like a Fox by Danielle Daniel Celebrating positive changes in emotions.
Dancing with the Cranes by Jeanette Armstrong / Ron Hall I can show a sense of joy. I can imagine and work toward change in myself and world.
Seven Sacred Teachings Niizhwaaswi gagiikwewin by D. Bouchard and Dr. J. Martin Humility, Honesty, Respect, Courage, Wisdom, Truth, Love
I Like Who I Am by Tara White Celebrating my efforts and accomplishments, advocating for myself. Identity.
Sweetest Kulu by Celina Kalluk Believe in Yourself, Love, Help others, Be gentle, Be creative, Find joy, Be empowered, Be patient, Be kind
Sharing Our World: Animals of the Native Northwest Coast by Garfinkel Publications Celebrating strengths and accomplishments
My Heart Fills with Happiness by M.G. Smith Showing joy
Yetsa’s Sweater by Sylvia Olsen Showing a sense of accomplishment and joy. Celebrating efforts and accomplishments.
Dipnetting with Dad by Willie Sellars Showing a sense of accomplishment and joy. Celebrating efforts and accomplishments. The rewards of not giving up.
Cloudwalker by Roy Henry Vickers and Robert Budd Not giving up despite challenges Persevering to overcome adversity
Orca Chief by Roy Henry Vickers and Robert Budd Sense of accomplishment in learning new skills
Set of seven books by Katherena Vermette The Seven Teachings Stories are inspired by the Seven Sacred Teachings of the Anishinaabe—love, wisdom, humility, courage, respect, honesty, and truth. These stories are set in urban landscapes, Indigenous children tell familiar stories about home, school, and community.
When I was Eight by Christy Jordan-Fenton Determination to read, goal setting, over-coming adversity, joy of reading, goal of reading.
Not My Girl by Christy Jordan-Fenton Recognition of change in self, Aspiring to belong, Change takes time.
Gray Wolf’s Search by Bruce Swanson Celebrating effort and accomplishment
Thunder Boy Jr. by S. Alexie Celebrating accomplishments and advocate for myself. Imagine and work toward change.
Dreaming In Indian: Contemporary Native American Voices. Edited by L. Charleyboy and M.B. Leatherdale A visual example to acknowledge the diverse identities in a contemporary current context.
The Secret of Your Name by D. Bouchard Showing a sense of accomplishment and joy. Advocating for my ideas. Celebrating my efforts.

2. Personal Awareness and Responsibility: Self-Regulation

Students who are personally aware and responsible take responsibility for their own choices and actions. They set goals, monitor progress, and understand and regulate their emotions. They are aware that learning involves patience and time. They are able to persevere in difficult situations, and to understand how their actions affect themselves and others.

I can sometimes recognize emotions. I can use strategies that help me manage my feelings and emotions. I can persevere with challenging tasks. I can implement, monitor, and adjust a plan and assess the results. I can take ownership of my goals, learning, behaviour.

When We Were Alone by David Alexander Robertson. 2016 Managing feelings and emotions.
Eaglet’s World by Evelyn White Minshull. 2014 Perseverance with challenging tasks. Risk taking. Moving out of your comfort zone.
The Moccasins by Earl Einarson. 2004 Recognizing how the moccasins made him feel
Spirit Bear by Jennifer Harrington Persevere and deal with challenging situations
Mwakwa Talks to the Loon by Dale Auger 2008 Self-reflection by taking ownership of behaviour
Which Way Should I Go? By Sylvia Olsen Recognizing feelings of loss and sadness and using strategies to help manage them.
Little Bear’s Vision Quest by Sylvia Olsen Showing respect – Learning tgo know yourself – feeling at peace with yourself
Everybody Needs A Rock by Byrd Baylor Special object to carry with you with a personal meaning – a sense of calm
Sometimes I Feel Like a Fox by Danielle Daniel Critical self-reflection. Recognizing changing emotions.
Dancing with the Cranes by Jeanette Armstrong / Ron Hall Recognizing feelings of loss and sadness and using strategies to help manage them.
I Like Who I Am by Tara White Recognizing emotions and perseverance
From the Mountains to the Sea: We Live Here by B. Boreham and T. Mack Recognizing emotions and own strengths – connections to animals.
I am Not a Number by J.K. Dupuis and K. Kacer Discussions of fear, sadness, lack of control
Sharing Our World: Animals of the Native Northwest Coast by Garfinkel Publications Self-reflection, recognizing emotions.
My Heart Fills with Happiness by M.G. Smith I can use strategies to help me manage my feelings and recognize emotions. Reflect on what makes you happy.
When I was Eight by Christy Jordan-Fenton Use of metaphor to describe emotion, self-reflection of feelings, perseverance, growth mindset – used every opportunity to learn.
Not My Girl by Christy Jordan-Fenton Reflection on emotion -sadness, disappointment, embarrassment, pride. Use of metaphor to describe emotion (birds of my heart)
Storm Boy by Paul Owen Lewis Visualize goals
Dipnetting with Dad by Willie Sellars Recognizing the need to persevere with the task and finding joy in the accomplishment.
Orca Chief by Roy Henry Vickers and Robert Budd Taking the time to be mindful.
Gray Wolf’s Search by Bruce Swanson Persevere and deal with challenging situations
Eagle Boy by R.L. Vaughn Perseverance with challenging tasks. Risk taking. Moving out of your comfort zone.
Shin-chi’s Canoe by N. Campbell Recognizing emotions, using strategies to help manage feelings and emotions

I Can’t have Bannock, but the Beaver has a dam – Wheeler

3. Personal Awareness and Responsibility: Well-Being

Students who are personally aware and responsible recognize how their decisions and actions affect their mental, physical, emotional, social, cognitive, and spiritual wellness, and take increasing responsibility for caring for themselves. They keep themselves healthy and physically active, manage stress, and express a sense of personal well-being. They make choices that contribute to their safety in their communities, including online interactions. They recognize the importance of happiness, and have strategies that help them find peace in challenging situations.

I can participate in activities that support my well-being, and tell/show how they help me. I can take some responsibility for my physical and emotional well-being. I can make choices that benefit my well-being and keep me safe in my community, including my online interactions. I can use strategies to find peace in stressful times. I can sustain a healthy and balanced lifestyle.

Wild Berries by Julie Flett, Earl N. Cook – Emotional and physical well-being

Come and Learn with Me – Cheyenne Jumbo

Chuck in the City – Wheeler – well being

I Wait – Nicholson – Emotional and Physical Well Being

Alego – Teevee

Kookum’s Red Shoes – Eyvindson

Missing Nimama – Florence

When We Were Alone by David Alexander Robertson. 2016 Strategies to find peace in stressful times.
The Moccasins by Earl Einarson. 2004 Importance of feeling loved and recognizing it and valuing it enough to pass along to others
Spirit Bear by Jennifer Harrington Looking after self in challenging situations
Which Way Should I Go? By Sylvia Olsen Making choices that benefit your own well being. Being mindful. Making good choices.
Little Bear’s Vision Quest by Sylvia Olsen Acknowledging your mistakes and taking responsibility. Self- aware of feelings.
Everybody Needs A Rock by Byrd Baylor Emotional well-being
Sometimes I Feel Like a Fox by Danielle Daniel Emotional well-being
Dancing with the Cranes by Jeanette Armstrong / Ron Hall Taking some responsibility for emotional well-being.
I Like Who I Am by Tara White Emotional well-being
My Heart Fills with Happiness by M.G. Smith Emotional well-being
Lesson for the Wolf by Rachel Qitsualik-Tinsley Emotional well-being. Being yourself rather than trying to copy others.
I Know I am Precious and Sacred by D. Abood Emotional well-being. Healthy and balanced life-style.
I was Born Precious and Sacred Self-esteem and self-respect
When I was Eight by Christy Jordan-Fenton Deep breathing, visualization for well-being. Positive self talk, identity.
Not My Girl by Christy Jordan-Fenton Connection to family and culture, seeking friendship and play.
Storm Boy by Paul Owen Lewis Motif of staying physically safe – not wandering away in bad weather
Orca Chief by Roy Henry Vickers and Robert Budd Being mindful to help make good choices.
Dreaming In Indian: Contemporary Native American Voices. Edited by L. Charleyboy and M.B. Leatherdale Music and the Arts, Comedy and Humour can heal and promote well-being
The Secret of Your Name by D. Bouchard Mindful sense of identity promotes well-being
Shin-chi’s Canoe and Shi-Shi-Etko by N. Campbell Connection to family and culture.

4. Social Responsibility: Contributing to the Community and Caring for the Environment

Students develop awareness and take responsibility for their social, physical, and natural environments by working independently and collaboratively for the benefit of others, communities, and the environment.

With some support, I can be part of a group. I can participate in classroom and group activities to improve the classroom, school, community, or natural world. I can contribute to group activities that make my classroom, school, community or natural world a better place. I can identify how my actions and the actions of others affect my community and the natural environment and can work to make positive change. I can analyze complex social or environmental issues from multiple perspectives. I can take thoughtful actions to influence positive, sustainable change.

Wild Berries by Julie Flett, Earl N. Cook – The environment sustains us, respect for animals

Only in My Home Town – Friesen – community

Come and Learn with Me – Cheyenne Jumbo

I Wait – Nicholson

Alego – Teevee

The Water Walker – Robertson – Protect the Environment

Just a Walk  – Wheeler – Environment

The Salmon Run – Gautier

Fishing with Grandma – Avingag

Eaglet’s World by Evelyn White Minshull. 2014 Environmental issues that effect eagles.
Red Parka Mary by Peter Eyvindson Caring for individuals in the community
Under One Sun – Nelson 2017

What Do You Share?

We Help Each Other

I Do Good Things

(other titles available)

Do good things for others and Mother Earth. Recycle. Helping in the Community.
Spirit Bear by Jennifer Harrington Taking only what we need from the environment. Protecting habitats. Sharing. Working together.
Mwakwa Talks to the Loon by Dale Auger 2008 Protecting the natural environment, role in the community. Giving thanks and environmental stewardship.
Which Way Should I Go? By Sylvia Olsen Demonstrating growth and joy affects the community
Little Bear’s Vision Quest by Sylvia Olsen How our actions affect others
What’s the Most Beautiful Thing about Horses? by Richard Van Camp / Georges Littlechild Respecting animals and the natural environment
Sometimes I Feel Like a Fox by Danielle Daniel Protecting the natural environment – animals
Dancing with the Cranes by Jeanette Armstrong / Ron Hall Links to the natural environment – interconnected.
I Like Who I Am by Tara White Actions can help make positive change
From the Mountains to the Sea: We Live Here by B. Boreham and T. Mack Protecting the natural environment, role in the community. Giving thanks and environmental stewardship.
Sweetest Kulu by Celina Kalluk Protect the environment
The Giving Tree by Leah Dorian Caring in the community, Protecting the tree
Sharing Our World: Animals of the Native Northwest Coast by Garfinkel Publications Caring for the environment
I Know I am Precious and Sacred by D. Abood My actions affect my community and I can make positive change.
Not My Girl by Christy Jordan-Fenton Care for puppies – feeding, nursing.
Storm Boy by Paul Owen Lewis Protect the natural environment – whales
Yetsa’s Sweater by Sylvia Olsen Being part of a group, participating in group activities. Identifying how my actions affect the community and the natural environment.
Dipnetting with Dad by Willie Sellars Being part of the community and respect for the environment.
Cloudwalker by Roy Henry Vickers and Robert Budd Providing for the community, acting with the interests of the community at heart. Taking only what you need from nature – sustainability
Orca Chief by Roy Henry Vickers and Robert Budd Identifying how actions affect the community and the natural environment.
Gray Wolf’s Search by Bruce Swanson Being part of the community and acting in the best interest of the community. Positive message of protecting the animals.
The Elders are Watching by D. Bouchard and R.H. Vickers Identify how my actions and the actions of others affect the community and the natural environment and how I can work to make positive change.
Eagle Boy by R.L. Vaughn Respecting the earth’s resources. Sustainability. Caring for the community.
Dreaming In Indian: Contemporary Native American Voices. Edited by L. Charleyboy and M.B. Leatherdale Understanding roles and responsibilities in a community
Shi-shi-etko by Nicola Campbell Mindful attention to the environment

5. Social Responsibility: Solving Problems in Peaceful Ways

Students identify and develop an appreciation of different perspectives on issues; they generate, use, and evaluate strategies to resolve problems.

I can solve some problems myself and can identify when to ask for help. I can identify problems and compare potential problem-solving strategies. I can clarify problems, consider alternatives and evaluate strategies. I can clarify problems or issues, generate multiple strategies, weigh consequences, compromise to meet the needs of others and evaluate actions.

When We Were Alone by David Alexander Robertson. 2016 Different strategies used to address different problems
Under One Sun – Nelson 2017

What Do You Share?

We Help Each Other

I Do Good Things

(other titles available)

Seeing when help is needed and taking action.
Spirit Bear by Jennifer Harrington Help from wolverine, needed encouragement / help while making his way back home.
Mwakwa Talks to the Loon by Dale Auger 2008 Seeking help and guidance, Problem solving.
Little Bear’s Vision Quest by Sylvia Olsen Resolving conflict in peaceful ways – Forgiveness
Everybody Needs A Rock by Byrd Baylor Identifying and solving problems by making own decisions
Sometimes I Feel Like a Fox by Danielle Daniel Using descriptors of feelings to help identify when there are problems.
I Like Who I Am by Tara White Uses feelings to identify problems. Explores bullying and belonging.
Orca Chief by Roy Henry Vickers and Robert Budd Using teamwork.  Applying what they have learned to solve problems.
When I was Eight by Christy Jordan-Fenton Solving the problem of the red stockings.
Not My Girl by Christy Jordan-Fenton Awareness of a problem, Loss of skills to feel useful in culture of origin, returning home as a stranger.

6. Social Responsibility: Valuing Diversity

Students value diversity, defend human rights, advocate for others, and act with a sense of ethics in interactions, including online.

With some direction, I can demonstrate respectful and inclusive behaviour. I can explain when something is unfair. I can advocate for others. I take action to support diversity and defend human rights, and can identify how diversity is beneficial for my community, including online.

Only in My Home Town – Friesen – What makes us and our communities unique

Alego – Teevee

Kookum’s Red Shoes – Eyvindson

When We Were Alone by David Alexander Robertson. 2016 Explaining when something is unfair.
Red Parka Mary by Peter Eyvindson Learning from those different from you. Different doesn’t need to be ‘scary’
Spirit Bear by Jennifer Harrington Inclusive of others even if they are not the same as you.
Little Bear’s Vision Quest by Sylvia Olsen Not judging based on appearance, Being kind to everyone
What’s the Most Beautiful Thing about Horses? by Richard Van Camp / Georges Littlechild Being proud of our own uniqueness, understanding similarities and differences.
Sometimes I Feel Like a Fox by Danielle Daniel We are all different and respond differently emotionally
I Like Who I Am by Tara White Explores prejudices and racism
I am Not a Number by J.K. Dupuis and K. Kacer Explain when something is unfair and advocate for others and defend human rights.
Sharing Our World: Animals of the Native Northwest Coast by Garfinkel Publications Valuing diversity by celebrating different strengths and skills.
Lesson for the Wolf by Rachel Qitsualik-Tinsley Each of us is unique with unique gifts.
I am Raven by D. Bouchard and A. Everson Each of us is unique with different traits shown in the characters of the spirit animals.
Gray Wolf’s Search by Bruce Swanson Recognizing that everyone is important and valuing each individual
Dreaming In Indian: Contemporary Native American Voices. Edited by L. Charleyboy and M.B. Leatherdale Recognizing cultural identity. Stereotypes.
When I was Eight by Christy Jordan-Fenton Meaning of a name, unjust treatment of a child.
Not My Girl by Christy Jordan-Fenton Theme of injustice. Mother and father showed differences in acceptance of daughter, inclusion
Shin-chi’s Canoe by N. Campbell Unjust treatment.
Shi-shi-etko by Nicola Campbell Unjustly taken from familiar environment

7. Social Responsibility: Building Relationships

Students develop and maintain diverse, positive peer and intergenerational relationships in a variety of contexts.

With some support, I can be part of a group. I am kind to others, can work or play co-operatively, and can build relationships with people of my choosing. I can identify when others need support and provide it. I am aware of how others may feel and take steps to help them feel included. I build and sustain positive relationships with diverse people, different generations.

Wild Berries by Julie Flett, Earl N. Cook – Positive relationships with family / elders

Only in My Home Town – Friesen – What makes us unique

I Wait – Nicholson

Alego – Teevee

Fishing with Grandma – Avingag

Missing Nimama – Florence

When We Were Alone by David Alexander Robertson. 2016 Positive relationships with family / elders.
Red Parka Mary by Peter Eyvindson Relationships between generations. Kindness Counts.
The Moccasins by Earl Einarson. 2004 Recognizing different types of families and the love within them.
Under One Sun – Nelson 2017

What Do You Share?

We Help Each Other

I Do Good Things

(other titles available)

Building relationships with diverse people. Kindness Counts. Sharing. Community.
Spirit Bear by Jennifer Harrington Supporting each other and encouraging each other in a time of need.
Mwakwa Talks to the Loon by Dale Auger 2008

Only in My Home Town – Friesen

Community
Which Way Should I Go? By Sylvia Olsen Being part of the greater community.
Little Bear’s Vision Quest by Sylvia Olsen Being a good friend, kindness, not being selfish, considering others feelings. Making someone else feel special.
What’s the Most Beautiful Thing about Horses? by Richard Van Camp / Georges Littlechild Communication
Sometimes I Feel Like a Fox by Danielle Daniel Recognizing different emotions in others and supporting each other.
Dancing with the Cranes by Jeanette Armstrong / Ron Hall Building relationships, understanding circle of life. Importance of Elders.
I Like Who I Am by Tara White Looks at building relationships and explores not only the bully and the bullied but also the bystanders and how they reconcile.
Grandpa’s Girls by Nicola Campbell Importance of family and grandparents, creating memories, playing respectfully.
The Giving Tree by Leah Dorian Building relationships, supporting others.
My Heart Fills with Happiness by M.G. Smith Happiness connected to personal relationships
I Know I am Precious and Sacred by D. Abood Power of relationships between generations
I was Born Precious and Sacred We are all unique and valued in our relationships.
When I was Eight by Christy Jordan-Fenton Empathy for others new to a group.
Not My Girl by Christy Jordan-Fenton Showing love, care, patience. Relationships take time.
Storm Boy by Paul Owen Lewis Recognizing different emotions in others and providing support.
Yetsa’s Sweater by Sylvia Olsen Build and sustain positive relationships with different generations.
Dipnetting with Dad by Willie Sellars Working within the family and the community to complete tasks. Team work.
Cloudwalker by Roy Henry Vickers and Robert Budd Being kind and generous.
Orca Chief by Roy Henry Vickers and Robert Budd Learning together to form a cooperative team.

8. Indigenous Perspectives 

Taken from Aboriginal World views and Perspectives in the Classroom: Moving Forward

Awareness of History, Local Focus, Engagement with the Land, Nature, Outdoors. Emphasis on Identity, Community Involvement: Process and Protocols, Power of Story, Traditional Teaching, Language and Culture, Experiential Learning

Only in My Home Town – Friesen – History, Language and Culture, Identity

Beaver Steals Fire  – Salish /  Kootenai Elder Story – History, Language and Culture and Identity

Fishing with Grandma – Avingag

Shawnadithit, Tales from Big Spirit is a unique six-book graphic novel series that delves into the stories of six great Indigenous heroes from Canadian history – Identity

Missing Nimama – Florence

When We Were Alone by David Alexander Robertson. 2016 Awareness of History – Residential Schools, Power of Story
Eaglet’s World by Evelyn White Minshull. 2014 Engagement with the Land, Nature and Outdoors.
Red Parka Mary by Peter Eyvindson Importance of Elders, Power of Story, Traditional Teaching, Experiential Learning, Language and Culture.
The Moccasins by Earl Einarson. 2004 Identity, Traditional Teaching
Under One Sun – Nelson 2017

What Do You Share?

We Help Each Other

I Do Good Things

(other titles available)

Engagement with the Land, Nature and Outdoors. Relationships. Traditional Teaching, Language and Culture, Experiential Learning, Identity
Spirit Bear by Jennifer Harrington Local Focus, Engagement with Land and Nature, Power of Story
Mwakwa Talks to the Loon by Dale Auger 2008 Engagement with the Land, Nature and Outdoors. Animal spirits, connection to animal world, salmon harvest, feasts
Which Way Should I Go? By Sylvia Olsen Identity, Traditional Teaching, Power of Story, Language and Culture
Little Bear’s Vision Quest by Sylvia Olsen Importance of Elders, Traditional Teaching, Culture, Interconnectedness with the Land, Connecting with our inner spirit.
Everybody Needs A Rock by Byrd Baylor

Wild Berries – Flett, Cook

Engagement with the Land, Nature and Outdoors, Identity
What’s the Most Beautiful Thing about Horses? by Richard Van Camp / Georges Littlechild Emphasis on Identity, Power of Story
Sometimes I Feel Like a Fox by Danielle Daniel Anishinaabe tradition of totem animals. Connections to animals, honouring animal spirits.
Dancing with the Cranes by Jeanette Armstrong / Ron Hall Local focus, Engagement with nature, Identity, Power of Story, Traditional Teaching
Come and Learn with Me Local Focus, Engagement with Nature, Traditional Teaching, Language and Culture
Seven Sacred Teachings Niizhwaaswi gagiikwewin by D. Bouchard and Dr. J. Martin “The Seven Sacred Teachings of White Buffalo Calf Woman, also known as the Seven Grandfather Teachings, are shared, valued and practised by many indigenous peoples” – D.B.
I Like Who I Am by Tara White Emphasis on Identity, Community, Language and Culture
From the Mountains to the Sea: We Live Here by B. Boreham and T. Mack Engagement with Land, Nature and Outdoors, Language and Culture
I am Not a Number by J.K. Dupuis and K. Kacer Awareness of History, – Residential Schools, Identity, Traditional Teaching, Language and Culture
Sweetest Kulu by Celina Kalluk Identity, Language and Culture, Engagement with land, nature and outdoors.
The Giving Tree by Leah Dorian Culture and Tradition – Metis values Red River Cart Wheel Teachings
Sharing Our World: Animals of the Native Northwest Coast by Garfinkel Publications Traditional Teaching, Engagement with the Land and Nature, Language and Culture
My Heart Fills with Happiness by M.G. Smith Power of Story, Language and Culture.
Lesson for the Wolf by Rachel Qitsualik-Tinsley Power of Story, Language and Culture, Emphasis on Identity, Elders.
Secret of the Dance by Andrea Spalding Language and Culture, Awareness of History, Identity
I Know I am Precious and Sacred by D. Abood Language and Culture, Community Involvement, Relationships with Elders, Power of Story .
I was Born Precious and Sacred Language and Culture, Community Involvement, Relationships with Elders, Power of Story .
When I was Eight by Christy Jordan-Fenton Naming children, Identity, Clothing, Way of life, Changing a name – removing identity. Power of Story, Awareness of History.
Not My Girl by Christy Jordan-Fenton Awareness of History, Teaching through hands-on-learning, Power of Story, Learning from family context, foods.
Storm Boy by Paul Owen Lewis Spirit world, animals in human form, potlatching, claiming a crest, Culture and Language, Engagement with Nature.
Yetsa’s Sweater by Sylvia Olsen Awareness of History, Local Focus, Traditional Teaching, Experiential Learning
Dipnetting with Dad by Willie Sellars Awareness of History, Local Focus, Traditional Teaching, Experiential Learning, Engagement with the Land.
Cloudwalker by Roy Henry Vickers and Robert Budd Awareness of History, Power of Story, Traditional Teaching, Language and Culture, Engagement with the Land, Nature and Outdoors
Orca Chief by Roy Henry Vickers and Robert Budd Awareness of History, Power of Story, Traditional Teaching, Language and Culture, Engagement with the Land, Nature and Outdoors
I am Raven by D. Bouchard and A. Everson Awareness of History, Power of Story, Language and Culture, Engagement with the Land, Nature and Outdoors
Gray Wolf’s Search by Bruce Swanson Power of Story, Language and Culture, Engagement with the Land, Nature and Outdoors
Thunder Boy Jr. by S. Alexie Language and Culture, Awareness of History, Identity
The Elders are Watching by D. Bouchard and R.H. Vickers Awareness of History, Engagement with the Land, Nature and Outdoors, Traditional Teaching
Eagle Boy by R.L. Vaughn Engagement with the Land and Nature, Community involvement, Culture and Tradition, Traditional Teaching
Dreaming In Indian: Contemporary Native American Voices. Edited by L. Charleyboy and M.B. Leatherdale Power of Story, Language and Culture, Emphasis on Identity.
The Secret of Your Name by D. Bouchard Awareness of History, Power of Story, Emphasis on Identity
Shin-chi’s Canoe by N. Campbell Awareness of History, Residential Schools, Power of Story, Language and Culture
Shi-shi-etko by Nicola Campbell Awareness of History – Residential Schools, Power of Story, Language and Culture

9. Other Comments / Links to Digital Resources 

When We Were Alone by David Alexander Robertson. 2016 Free eBook Parent/Teacher Guide is available. Video tutorial and lesson using the illustrations to teach coding (Scratch). Illustrator Julie Flett
Eaglet’s World by Evelyn White Minshull. 2014 Great to use at the beginning of the year as a metaphor for school experiences. Pair with Nope by D, Sheneman.
Red Parka Mary by Peter Eyvindson WITS lesson and activity ideas
Which Way Should I Go? By Sylvia Olsen Great afterward on the author and story background. Sylvia Olsen sings the song featured in the book.
Little Bear’s Vision Quest by Sylvia Olsen Lesson on building community in the classroom
Everybody Needs A Rock by Byrd Baylor 1974. Reprinted 1985 and still available. Pair with Only One You by L. Kranz.
Raven Tales – 26 Graphic Novels Edited by D. Bouchard and D. Booth Built on traditional stories that develop a sense of community, responsibility, respect, and interconnectedness of life. High-impact graphic novel visuals, complete with frames, captions, and speech and thought bubbles. Each title features an original interpretation of a popular tale from the teachings of the First Nations Peoples. Stories include: trickster tales, pourquoi stories, origin stories, as well as traditional tales. Teacher’s Guide also recommended. Bald Eagle story video
Dancing with the Cranes by Jeanette Armstrong / Ron Hall Great resource for discussing the circle of life and death.
Seven Sacred Teachings Niizhwaaswi gagiikwewin by D. Bouchard and Dr. J. Martin Book in PDF , Ojibwe Teachings,
Spirit Bear by Jennifer Harrington 2014 Great website with facts, sightings, videos and environmental impact information. BCSpiritBear.com
What’s the Most Beautiful Thing about Horses? by Richard Van Camp / Georges Littlechild Art activities based on Littlechild’s work.

Littlechild’s website

Sometimes I Feel Like a Fox by Danielle Daniel What Totem Animal are you?

WITS program lesson plan

I Like Who I Am by Tara White WITS program activities

How to make a Jingle Dress

From the Mountains to the Sea: We Live Here by B. Boreham and T. Mack Download planning guide linked to BC Curriculum
I am Not a Number by J.K. Dupuis and K. Kacer Interview with author Dr. Jenny Kay Dupuis

Gillian Newland, Illustrator

Sweetest Kulu by Celina Kalluk Throat singer Celina Kalluk’s ‘Daylight Remains’
Grandpa’s Girls by Nicola Campbell Kim LaFave illustrator
The Giving Tree by Leah Dorian Great video, Leah Dorian shows and discusses her art and the Giving Tree
Secret of the Dance by Andrea Spalding Social Justice activity from the BCTF.

See also FNESC guide

Yetsa’s Sweater by Sylvia Olsen Publisher’s Teachers’ Guide
Shi-shi-etko and Shin-chi’s Canoe by Nicola Campbell FNESC Resource
Multiple titles by David Bouchard David Bouchard’s Webpage
Dreaming In Indian: Contemporary Native American Voices Interview with the Editors
In addition the following titles in the series ‘From our First Nations’ also have embedded stories that focus on Social Emotional Development core competencies Great Musicians, Environmentalists, Great Writers, Men of Courage, Great Athletes, Wisdom,
Non-picture books: Fatty Legs by Christy Jordan Fenton, A Stranger at Home by Christy Jordan-Fenton No Time To Say Goodbye by Sylvia Olsen

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

Tags: , ,
Copyright © 2017. Anna Crosland. All rights reserved.

Posted June 5, 2017 by acrosland in category Book Recommendations, Social Emotional Learning

About the Author

Anna Crosland Teacher-Librarian in B.C. Canada: MakerEd, Digital Creation with 1:1 iPads, 3D Printing, Social Emotional Learning, Mighty Girls and Women, Inclusiveness, Diversity and lots of Reading